How to Install Applications That Were Not Downloaded From the App Store
When installing applications on a Mac, it's typically necessary to change the System Preference that Apple calls "Gate Keeper." By default, Gate Keeper prevents any applications from being installed that aren't on the App Store.
Follow the instructions below to change the default Gate Keeper setting to allow you to install an application from any developer. An admin password will be necessary.
- Click on the Apple menu in the top left corner of the screen and choose "System Preferences"
- In the window that opens, single click on "Security & Privacy"
- Single click the "General" pane
- Single click on the padlock in the bottom left corner of the window to unlock. You will likely need to enter the admin password at this point.
- Verify your selection by single clicking on "Allow from anywhere" on the roll down window
- Choose "Anywhere"
- Click on "Show All" to exit and accept changes.