Saving Matrix Templates to Display Columns for Unused Labels
In some cases, a timeline might be coded and labeled in a way such that you don't end up clicking on all the Labels in the Code Window. Thus, if you were to open the Matrix, you would only see the columns for the Labels that were actually used. This might be problematic if you're wanting to see zero counts for Labels that were not clicked on.
To remedy this, follow the steps below for a simple workaround.
- Code an instance from any Code Button. The instance will eventually be deleted, we just need it for these purposes
- Label the instance with all possible Labels that you have in the Code Window.
- Single click on the instance
- Single click on the Label Mode icon on the Code Window
- Single click on each of the Labels in the Code Window. Obviously this is unrealistic, but the purpose for now is just to apply one of each of the Labels to this instance.
- Return to Edit mode on the Code Window
- Click the Matrix icon on the timeline to open the Matrix
- You will see all the columns in the row. The counts are irrelevant for these purposes.
- With the Matrix as the active window, go toFile > Save (or COMMAND+s) to save the Matrix as a template
- In the window that opens, name the Matrix as desired and choose the destination to which it should be saved.
- From this point on, just open the saved Matrix Template and all the columns will always be visible, even if you haven't used a particular label with the given timeline you have open in the background.
- Presuming you don't want to keep the instance we coded, single click on it and press DELETE on the keyboard.